Historic Houses owned by Maxwell in Scotland.
Pollok House was designed by William Adam in 1737 and built between 1747 and 1752 for Sir John Maxwell of Nether Pollok. Sir John (formally of Blawarthill) had succeeded his cousin, John Maxwell, Lord Pollok, to the barony in 1732. Finding himself possessed of a considerable estate but without any comfortable accommodation he commissioned the famous architect to design his new home above the old tower of Nether Pollok on the flat land beside the White Cart Water. However it was a further ten years before the plan was realized and building started. This delay meant the Sir John was only able to enjoy his new home for a few months before his death. The severely plain neo-classic house was rectangular in plan with four floors and a hipped roof. The new house spelled the demolition of the old tower the masonry being reused in the construction of a stable courtyard some three hundred yards west of the new house. The house lay unchanged until it was inherited by Sir John Stirling Maxwell in 1888. Having inherited a considerable art collection and library from his father he needed to extend the house and commissioned Robert R. Anderson to design the additions to the Georgian house. The new entrance hall was added in 1890 with the wings housing the library and the billiard room were completed a few years later. Sir John Stirling Maxwell died in 1956 and the barony passed to his daughter Anne Maxwell Macdonald who generously gave the House with its collection of internationally famed collection of paintings along with the 361 acres of parkland to the City of Glasgow. The famous Burrell Museum was built in the park in the late 1970s.
Terregles House was built for Winifred Maxwell and her husband, William Haggerston Constable of Everingham, between 1792 and 1800. It was built to replace the old tower house castle that had originally been the home of the Herries family and latterly the Earls of Nithsdale. Winifred Maxwell was the granddaughter of the the last Earl of Nithsdale and served as heir general to he father in 1776. On completion, the old castle was demolished. The new house was exceedingly grand and was home to the Constable Maxwells and their seven children. In 1848, William Constable-Maxwell, Winifred's grandson obtained an Act of Parliament whereby he and all other descendants of William Maxwell, fifth Earl of Nithsdale were restored to the blood and in 1858 a committee of the House of Lords declared William Constable-Maxwell the lineal heir, through the female line of the barony of Herries and consequently thereafter Lord Herries of Terregles. His descendants, the Constable Maxwells lived at Terregles until early in the twentieth century when the property was let out. The barony lands were sold off after the great war and in the early 1930's the house and contents were sold out of the family. The house was requisitioned during the second World War and was the residence of the King of Norway during the German occupation of his homeland. After the war the property fell into disrepair and was demolish with explosives in 1962 as it had become infested with rot, not having been occupied since 1945.
Monreith House and others are due to be added in due course.